The first (of many, I’m sure) trip to the ER.

Finn is his father’s son, after all.  I think he will give Josh a run for his money as far as ER visits as a child.  Josh tells me he was such a frequent visitor that they had a bed reserved for him.

Yesterday morning we were going through our morning routine.  I had gotten Finn up, gave him some breakfast, had him all dressed to go to daycare.  He was running around as usual and then I heard him whimpering from the kitchen.  He had removed a tin can from the recycling and stuck his fingers between the can and the lid.

When I pulled his hand out he had cut off the meaty part of the pad of his finger and it was bleeding EVERYWHERE!  Josh (the calm one in a crisis, as I am running around screaming) took care of Finn as I called the doctor trying to figure out if we should bring him in or not.  He bled through 2 paper towels and 3 band-aids.  After being on hold for 20 minutes I finally spoke to the nurse who thought we could wait to see our regular doctor.  The bleeding had slowed, so we felt good about waiting a little bit.

When we went in to see his regular doctor she thought it was best that we go into the ER because if he needed stitches, they would be able to sedate him and she wasn’t.  So we went and waited for 2 hours in the ER.  Finn was such a trooper considering he wasn’t allowed to eat (and hadn’t eaten since around 7) and hadn’t been able to sleep since he got up at 6:30.  He finally fell asleep on me in the waiting room and, of course, shortly after that they called his name.

I have to say once again how impressed I am with the Mayo Clinic.  All the people that interacted with us showed us and him such compassion and kindness, all while making sure that he received the very best medical attention.  While he was getting his 2 stitches there was a nurse, a doctor, a resident, and another nurse whose entire job was to distract and entertain him.  They numbed his finger and then squirted some sedative up his nose so he wasn’t any more traumatized by the experience than was absolutely necessary.  During the time they were stitching his finger he got upset twice because he couldn’t move his other hand.  He was more traumatized every time they had to take off the dressing we put on his cut.

Although this was not his first trip to the ER (he spent way too much time there when I was sick, at least as far as I am concerned) I was so impressed with how amazing and brave he was.  I realized that every time I have to go to the hospital that housed me for the month that I spent in hospital, it will be difficult for me, but it wasn’t as bad as the other times I have been there as a visitor.

I once again realized how people can say they want to take the place of their loved one in a difficult situation.  I wished from the moment that it happened that I could either kiss away his hurt until he was all better or that I could take his place and it could be my finger that had been cut open.  Again, I felt like a horrible mom.  I feel that I should have been watching him so that he wouldn’t have had to endure the pain and suffering.  I guess I have to come to terms with that I can’t watch him every moment of every day and that there will probably be many more visits to the hospital while I am comforting him after an accident.

I also have to take a moment and say thank you to my incredible team that I work with at school.  I called them about an hour before school started and I had not prepared my classroom for a sub.  They jumped in and rescued me with no notice.  I know that everyone is not so blessed to work with such amazing people, but I am just glad that I am one of the lucky ones!!  I feel such trepidation and guilt when I leave my classroom under someone else’s care and I know they will be best looked after by my team.  Thanks for taking care of my kids so I could take care of my son!

When we got home, we fed him right away…but he was still not happy…he knew it was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day!

Disclaimer: The mess you see in the background is because Hazel got a hold of Kleenex and tore them up everywhere.  Her only goal in life is to make our house as messy as possible!

This is the dressing they put on his finger after stitching it up.  They wanted it to stay on for 48 hours.  In actuality it stayed on for 2 hours.

This is the: “I’m still not happy pout.”

Here’s the ouchy mcgoucy itself…my poor baby’s finger!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
This entry was posted in Finn, Finn Pictures, Parenting and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to The first (of many, I’m sure) trip to the ER.

  1. Jen says:

    First, you are not a horrible mom and second he is already doing better than Josh, he got stitches at 6 months! Yes, of course that is only the first of many!! :-)

  2. Jen says:

    Love the pouty face. Too funny!!!

  3. Candice says:

    AWWW! Poor little man! He certainly is a trooper though. :)

  4. Mwa says:

    Ouch! Been a few times now – it doesn’t get easier.

  5. Initiation by fire, huh? What a brave little man and what a brave mommy!
    Glad it all turned out okay.

  6. Tracey says:

    Poor thing! And poor you! At least he’s okay now.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge