The wrinkles that tell the story of our life.

I was taking my daily stroll through the beautiful blogosphere and found a grassy knoll under an oak tree’s shade that was perfect for sitting on a blanket as I read one of my favorite blogs.  Linda (the author) is relatively new to the blogging scene but I love her voice and her writing is so engaging.

I have a lot of respect for Linda and I really like how she writes.  However, I believe that we are two VERY different people. I have a sneaking suspicion that she leans a little right of center, whereas I couldn’t live more on the far left side of the aisle.

I love when I find someone with opposing views who can speak eloquently and from their heart.  When we look at the world from another perspective, we challenge our own ideas and bias.  In short, respectful disagreement aids each of us in growing to be a more thoughtful, intelligence, and compassionate person.

Even though we probably wouldn’t agree on very much, I can tell that Linda has a kind heart and I have a lot of respect for her.  As I was reading one of her stories where she was talking about the measures she uses to remain youthful, it made me think of something that I haven’t thought of in a long time.

When I was growing up my sister always told my mom she thought her wrinkles were beautiful. They spoke to her age, wisdom, and life lived…which has been vast. It was only when I was much older when my mom told me she hated her wrinkles, but accepted them because of what my sister said.

Since Jessica thought wrinkles were beautiful, I did too (as I followed her lead always, and never thought to have a differing opinion~hero worship and all that).  When we were younger my sister and I would scrunch up our faces in an attempt to induce laugh lines. I don’t have wrinkles yet, but I do sort of freak about my age (every once and awhile)…because I remember when I thought 5th and 6th graders were old and if you were 20, well you might as well be dead.

I look forward to embracing my wrinkles and will wear them as a badge of honor, thanks to my sister. It’s all in our perspective, isn’t it?  It is a wonderful gift my sister gave me, because I will never fret over the wrinkles that will come.

More than wrinkles, I look forward to when my hands tell the story of the life I’ve lived.  Our story, our beauty lies in our hands.  I love my mom’s hands.

My mom has worked with her hands for over 4 decades and they contain great beauty and speak of times past. What strength, stories, and beauty she holds in her hands. She put food on our table and a roof over our heads, with her hands.

My mother-in-laws is an artist in every sense of the word, and creates beauty and grace with her hands.  She suffers from rheumatoid arthritis.  She has not let this stop her or even slow her down.  She does more in a day than I do in a week and her hands tell her story.  Her hands rival my mom’s for the beauty they hold.

This is my favorite photograph of all time.

It is the hands I love most (my sisters and moms) getting me into my wedding dress.

This entry was posted in BLOGTASTIC-shout out to fellow blogger, Family, Kate ~ HerStory, Personal, Photographs and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to The wrinkles that tell the story of our life.

1. Nicely expressed.
    Laoch of Chicago recently posted..Our New Alien OverlordsMy Profile

2. Beautiful picture, beautiful words.
    I’ll have to check Kate out!
    Sprite’s Keeper recently posted..Out-of-townersMy Profile

You realize, of course, that if you scrunch up your face to make wrinkles it will stay that way! Thank you for your kind words, Kate… and yes, I am a Reagan Republican and a ditto head from way back. lol

The first story I read at your blog was the one where you and Finn made a journey to visit your grandmother. And within your clever tale, you inserted these silly little conversations between the two of you. It was all so endearing, I instantly loved your heart as a mom, and the precious way you included Finn’s little boy dialogue in your stories.

Character, humor, and honesty go a long way toward building friendships, and I’m so happy to call you my friend! Thank you for your very kind words and generous compliments. Ya made my day… my week… infinity… who knows? 😀

Politics… it used to matter, but now the country is screwed either way.

4. Dayngr says:

Loved the post. I think the same about wrinkles, they tell the story of our lives and I raise my children to believe the same. We are each beautiful just the way we are.
    Dayngr recently posted..Mommy- Wheres Santa NowMy Profile

Kate, I am so sensitive these days… your post made me cry… in a good way, of course! Because I looooooved the photo, it’s simply fantastic… you, your wedding dress, your mother and sister there with you… so beautiful!
    About wrinkles: well… since I was 18 I don’t frown my face, because I read it would lead to wrinkles! So now, I can’t frown my forehead, cause I didn’t use the muscles! Thank God I wear bangs (fringe in the UK), so nobody can see my forehead, or else people would say I had Botox – which I didn’t… (and I guess I wouldn’t care if they thought so).
    I think you are so right about wrinkles. They certainly tell the story of a life.
    As I said, I don’t frown. But look at some people and you will see the “worrying line”, like I call it. It has another name, but I just can’ t remember that. My brothers have that line, my mother had it, only my father and I don’t/didn’t. We were always the ones who most laughed. So that wrinkle tells how the others were constantly worried! It certainly tells, like you said, the story of someone’s life! (And shows personality traits! Laughing, worrying, etc! Wrinkles are diaries!)
    Denise recently posted..Christian Louboutin Deroba 140 denim peep-toe wedgesMy Profile

6. Barbara says:

I’ll try to keep your sister’s words in mind when I notice my own increasing wrinkles. Beautiful sentiments and beautiful photo! (I’m slowly trying to catch up with my favorite blogs!)

7. There was a photographic study of gardeners hands. Can’t find it when I want it. But I will leave the link once I do find it again.

Thank you for explaining that picture. It looks like the invitation to a long and happy, once upon a time, and they all lived happily ever after, story. I hope 2011 brings you good things! (wonder what the rest of the dress looks like …)
    Elephant’s Eye recently posted..On the fourth day … four calling birds- four sistersMy Profile

8. Beautifully said. Have you ever heard Patricia Herdman’s song Lies? It’s all about the way her mirror tells her lies as she ages. I think you’d like it.

———————————–
    My photography is available for purchase – visit Around the Island Photography and bring home something beautiful today!
    Robin from Israel recently posted..Who MeMy Profile

@Loach-new site? I’m headed to check it out and SUPER EXCITED!!

@Sprite’s Keeper-check on it!

@Linda-so glad you found this, as I was actually visiting my Grandma again today I am missing out on my favorite reads…I’ll be back to the blog-o-sphere soon. But really, you are too kind. Last statement…couldn’t be any more true.

@Dayngr-must make sure to pass this on to my boy…who knows what will be invented by that time?

@Denise-always lovely to hear from you…you are in my thoughts. You shouldn’t have told your secret for remaining wrinkle free…not when you could have SOLD it!! :)

@Barbara-I’m so behind with my favorite reads, I feel that I will never catch up. If your picture is really of you that’s on your website, you are beyond beautiful. And if you are really a 16 year old boy in his parent’s basement…well you would do well to look like that beautiful woman. Wear your wrinkles proudly!!

@Elephant’s Eye-I would love to read that. I’ll have to Google it. What a compliment… “an invitation to a “happily ever after.” Now be careful what you ask for, because I will happily share my beautiful dress and wedding pictures with you. My mom spent a gazillion dollars on our wedding (and my in-laws forked over a couple pretty pennies as well). I have such fond memories of that day…couldn’t have imagined it any better. But to have that money now…well our priorities change when we mature and have a child. Our marriage would be just as lovely if we went down to the judge.

@Robin-no I will have to Google that as well when I have a moment!!

Ok…so I looked back and these were only the other photos I could find from that day. They used to be all on my computer and then my computer crashed…and now they live on disks (thank God we didn’t lose them). Here are my favorites…but it’s a bit funny because none of them really show my dress. It was lovely though, I promise!

11. I don’t give up easily, I keep coming back. I found the pictures at last ;>)

You are very determined…good for you! If I was more with you, you wouldn’t have had to search (but thanks for caring)!
    Elephant’s Eye recently posted..On the fifth day … five gold rings- five great booksMy Profile

Adore that picture, how very lovely :)

i have lots of scars that tell stories of my life, which has maybe prepared me for being okay with wrinkles 😉

How many have been induced by animals? I gave my sister quite a few scars. And I’m proud of that!!

maggie recently posted..My Life- An Epic AdventureMy Profile

13. Wolf Pascoe says:

I loved your generosity toward Linda and her blog, and her response. It makes me think there’s hope for us all.

Aw, thanks!