If you have children, you know they don’t come with a parenting handbook.

There is no instruction manual.

There should be an IQ and common sense test that people have to pass before they are given license to breed.

Obviously, we know that is not the case.

Need an example?  Dad took his 3 year-old son to get a tattoo that said DB (for daddy’s boy).  He got 12 months probation.  I think the punishment should fit the crime.  He should have to get I AM THE WORST FATHER tattooed on his forehead.

This entry was posted in Brain Dump, Parenting, What the hell? and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Human beings are the only creatures on earth that allow their children to come back home.

1. Raven says:

What a wanker. I agree. Tattooed right on his forehead!
    Raven recently posted..Once Again Insomnia has Made Me its Bitch The Coffee is Getting Me Through it ThoughMy Profile

While I think it was a bad decision to get your 3 year old a tattoo, I don’t think it’s criminal. Different people have different values. Some people get their infant’s ears pierced. Is it the same? Sounds like a value judgement to me. Other than having a tattoo for life and a short period of pain (which the 3 year old may have tolerated), what’s the harm? If this kid’s parents are all tattooed up the kid is going to grow up thinking its normal.

I agree that being a kid’s mother or father doesn’t make you a parent. We have no idea how this dad takes care of his kid. So before we get on our moral high horses, we should get the whole picture. Maybe this dad is a dirtbag. Or maybe not. One last comment, you cannot legislate morality. We need to be careful with our value judgments.
    Vince recently posted..Whos opinion really matters – Updated IIMy Profile

Vince-

Thanks so much for your comment! That’s funny because I was just thinking about you last night and how I haven’t been able to comment over at your blog…I really am missing it. 14 more days and then I’m done with school. 18 credits, 9 classes, what the hell was I thinking?? I know you go to school too…so you know what I’m feeling.

Now onto your comment…I so appreciate your perspective. It made me look at it in a whole new way. I really try to not be judgmental (and fail lots and lots), but with kids, it really is tricky. They can’t protect themselves so it’s a touchy subject for the culture, because we need to be their voice. It’s hard for to me to see how tattooing your child (which is causing them physical pain and giving them something to live with for the rest of their lives) would be acceptable. However, I do know in many tribal cultures tattoos are a huge part of their belief system. However, just because we do something as parents and want to have our children accept it, does not mean the path to that is making them participate in it. I enjoy a glass of wine and feel that’s appropriate, but I’m not going to pour one for Finn too just so he thinks I am normal. This goes for many things. And there are some things that we do as parents that we tell our children not to do (of course that usually doesn’t work, the whole do what I say not what I do is about the best way to get a child to pick up a negative habit) for example, smoking comes to mind.

I am not anti-tattoo. I have 1 tattoo, Josh has 2, and my sister has 42. My sister’s are beautiful, they make her who she is. And she’s a teacher so that’s a conversation she has with her students because they are impossible to hide.

On this particular story-the dad also couldn’t recount exactly what happened because he was too high and/or drunk to have his senses about him.

I would have sworn there was no other way to look at this story-but you showed me differently. You raised very important and valid points. I’m not sure I agree with you…but it was again a reminder to me why we can’t legislate morality and we need to LESS judgmental. Thanks!

Kate, after I commented I looked this up more carefully. The fact that this parent got drunk off his ass while being the sole caretaker for a 3 year old (the mom said she wasn’t around and didn’t know it happened) is what disqualifies this guy as a parent. I understand it’s against the law in that particular state (Georgia) to tattoo someone under 18 so that’s a technical violation of the law. The story should have been about getting smashed, not tattooing a kid when you’re drunk. Had this been a conscious value decision, that would have been one thing.

So on the one hand, you’re completely right this guy should have “Worst parent ever” tattooed on his head. But not for the reason you stated. I suppose it pays to get the full story before passing judgement. So I guess we’re both right?
    Vince recently posted..Whos opinion really matters – Updated IIMy Profile

5. While I’m shocked at the story, I do happen to have proof that I did come home with an instruction manual as a newborn. I found it in the records my parents kept and confronted them with it. :-)
    Sprite’s Keeper recently posted..He-bonicsMy Profile

Vince-
    I agree that we are both right! I went and commented on your post…very long comment and then the computer didn’t like me and I didn’t want to try and recreate it. The main idea was that your teachers sound crazy and that it’s sad we come to the point where our goal is to get a good grade not to learn the most. Of course, this is your teacher’s fault, not yours. I am really worried about a college prof. that doesn’t know academic papers are written in the third person. I also thought it was funny you were taking a “break” until May 9th. My semester ends on May 12th and I think I’ll take a 5 year break.
    Happy weekend!

Jen-
    You found the gold at the end of the rainbow! You should copy and sell it–you’ll make billions!

8. JUANA says:

I would tattoo it ALL over his body…. that way he would remember not to do anything like this to a child!

land’s alive. . . I would say that man is seriously misguided. tattooing a 3 year old is basically branding him. he’s your child, not your property. . . and the whole situation makes me worry the tattoo would get infected, etc. etc. and it’s just not a good scene.
    I’m impressed he got in such trouble for that, really. . . because I tend to think people get away with all kinds of ridiculous crap, especially parents ;P
    maggie recently posted..My First Taste of the East Coast TrailMy Profile