Puppies, unicorns, and rainbows.

So this week’s assignment is happiness.  What do I do to get to the happiness?  How do I cope with a stressful day?

If you asked Josh, he would say “not very well.”

My Serious Answer

Since I had Finn and almost died (are you sick of hearing about that yet?) I was put on a battery of pills.  For the past 3 years I have been working very hard to get off any and all medications that are possible.  I have come to accept the fact that there won’t be a time in my life when I won’t have to be taking a pill every day.

There are people out there who would rather suffer through a headache than take Tylenol or refuse an epidural when they’re giving birth.  There are people think the less drugs they are on, the better.  There are some who even SUFFER instead of taking medication.

I am NOT one of those people.

Something I struggle with on a daily basis, that can become very destructive in my life, is anxiety.  I was prescribed a medication that would help when I was headed toward having a panic attack.  It was magic.  I loved it instantly.  Slowly I began taking more and more because if it helped soothe my nerves when I had to deal with my family or when I had to contemplate how we are going to pay our bills after I lost my job, then it could really help me because it was a Tuesday or if the day ended with a y.

I figured if a little was a good thing, a LOT would be a GREAT thing!

So, with very hard work and enduring some painful days weeks months, I weaned myself off and I replaced it with knitting.

One day I felt like knitting, I have no idea where it came from.  What I found was I enjoy knitting and making something for people I care about.  I also love that it helps soothe my anxiety.  As far as I can figure it’s because my hands are engaged and busy, but it allows my brain to relax.  It’s a huge release of my nervous energy.

I try to knit every day for at least a couple hours.  My anxiety used to get worse when went to sleep.  My body was ready to sleep, but my mind was free to think of all the things I worry about.  If I knit prior to going to bed, I can’t even tell you what a difference it makes.  I know it helps me because if I don’t knit (even for one day) my anxiety levels rise quickly and without forgiveness.

Other Things that make me Happy!

My favorite song playing on the radio when I turn on the car.

Smelling delicious cooking smells when I walk into my in-laws house.

Getting a hug from my mom.

Finn telling me he loves me out of the blue.

My hand fitting perfectly into Josh’s (which is always nice and warm…which is nice because I’m cold blooded).

My dogs that are always happy to see me and give me lots of kisses.

Eating out with my sister when we can talk as long as we want as we drink diet coke and grenadine.

The inside of a new sweatshirt.

The smell of freshly mowed grass and bonfires.

When Finn and I have a joke that only we think is funny and we laugh until we are gasping for air.

Leaves falling in autumn and tree branches with snow on them during winter.

The first time it’s perfect weather to roll down the windows and open the sun roof in the spring.

Finding TV shows that both Josh and I like.

When kids give me art or letters they made for me.

Warm sandals that have been sitting in the sun.

Drinking delicious tap water when I’m not expecting it.

Making Finn laugh or teaching him something new or when he’s excited to see me or…well everything with Finn!  OH I also LOVE when he thinks I’m not watching and he does the right thing (like pick up something he made fall on the floor).

Wearing pajamas out of the house.

Joking with people who are working and feeling like I’m making their day a little better.

Letting someone into traffic when I don’t HAVE to and they wave at me.

The smell of books and babies.

Watching Josh teach Finn something new.

Watching Finn have fun with his cousins and other people I love.

Seeing Christmas trees lit up in front windows.

Stealing borrowing clothes from people I love and being able to smell them all day.

Eating pancakes for dinner.

Sandals.

Asking Finn a question and either being amazed at how he sees the world or blown away by how smart he is.

Inside jokes.

Doing nothing except things I want on my birthday.

Naps.

I could go on and on…but I won’t (YW)!  What makes you happy?

Get your Spin Cycle on.  The hostess with the mostest is Sprite’s Keeper.

This entry was posted in Animals of the Hanke Variety, BLOGTASTIC-shout out to fellow blogger, Family, Finn, Friends, Josh, Personal and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Puppies, unicorns, and rainbows.

1. I think my list would include most of your list! Except knitting since I tried that and almost strangled myself with it. Bad memory. Not going there..
    I do love the fact that knitting has taken over as an outlet instead of drugs. I tend to suffer through things because I am known for experiencing every side effect possible for any medication, therefore I tend to stick to upped doses of ibuprofen instead of vicodin. :-)
    You’re linked!
    Sprite’s Keeper recently posted..Shorti-locksMy Profile

2. Patty says:

Love the list. And I love wearing pjs all day, as well! Cool spin.

Patty-
    Nothing better than a great pair of pajama’s!!

Jen,
    I’m really going to have to take offense that you are SO AMAZING at your job that you are linking me before I leave you a comment. I feel very useless now… (j/K) 😉 I’m a huge fan of Aleve and Advil, Tylenol is great too. It’s the drugs that my doctor’s prescribe for em that I have to think twice about! You’d think I’d learn my lesson…but sometimes I’m very slow! I want to hear the story about how knitting strangled you…;)

5. Jan says:

Ahhh, I am one of those people who would rather suffer than take any kind of med – they are a last resort to me (I have my own anxiety about stuff like that).

Lovely list, even if I no longer eat pancakes, for dinner or otherwise. :)

Jan-
    I think I would be much smarter to have anxiety over that!

7. Pseudo says:

I love your list.

My son was diagnosed with anxiety disorder, it came on after a huge growth spurt his senior year of HS. It is so stressful for him. Luckily, he found a doctor that he trusts and likes, and although he has a med for anxiety, he is careful not to take it often. His doctor recommends exercise first and he is enjoying surfing as medication.
    Pseudo recently posted..TTT: Traveling While CruisingMy Profile

8. Erin says:

I used to knit for therapeutic reasons. Still pick it up from time to time. But I also have an ativan prescription and I’m not afraid to use it.
    Love your list – sandals and inside jokes are on mine too!
    Erin recently posted..of lightheartedness and puppy dog talesMy Profile

Everything so sweet! I also loved when I got art work from pupils, or messages, cause you know, children are so honest – so when they show love, it’s because it’s true love!
    And most of the things you love/like I also love/like! Naps, jokes, Diet Coke, books, babies, Christmas trees… but you know what, you wrote about “people working and telling you that you made a difference in their lives”… or something like this… and you really do, Kate, I hope you know this! Always when I don’t have internet, and I will soon explain why, I think “I couldn’t read Kate’s posts…”, cause you and your way of thinking, the nice stories you share with us, it all makes a biiiiiiig difference in our lives, I am sure I can speak on behalf of other people… You write me so nice and sweet words, you have such a wonderful way of thinking and sharing love, you are amazing, Kate, and I am very happy we got to “know” each other! Thanks for making a difference in my life! (And just like you said once, we may one day sit together drinking Diet Coke with no one to judge whether it’s good or bad! Probably bad, but we like it!)
    Denise recently posted..Simply great! What for an idea!My Profile

10. Gretchen says:

You should totally check out the book “Zen and the Art of Knitting”. It’s all about knitting as a form of meditation/therapy. Great list. Happy, happy.
    Gretchen recently posted..Spin Cycle: Fuzzy LoveMy Profile

Gretchen-
    Thanks for stopping by! I’ll have to check out that book, thanks for the recommendation!

Denise-
    You are an inspiration to me and I can’t believe what amazing words you wrote, it really meant the world to me!! I’m not sure if I deserved them, but I sure appreciated them!! I look forward to sharing a Diet Coke with you without any judgement for one another!

Pseudo-
    Surfing as a medication, now that sounds like a great plan! I think sometimes I’m so happy to just take medication (and I know I’m not the only one) instead of trying to find a way to help the problem without putting things into my body. I’m not against anxiety medications, but I think it’s great when people can find positive actions that work for drugs too (just as your son has done with surfing)!

Erin-
    Do you have any posts/pictures of what you knit? I would love to see them! Life gets so busy, we often forget to do things that are good for us or that we enjoy. The prescription that I had was very similar to ativan and I think it’s very useful and necessary for some people. I seem to cross over the line between using it to abusing it, which is never good. I’m not exactly sure why I go there eventually, maybe it’s just the easiest way. I certainly would never judge anyone else for using it (I hope I didn’t come across that way)!