How to train your child.

Yesterday I shared my master course on How to Train Your Husband.

A couple weeks ago Josh put Finn’s bed up in a bed frame because he’s been sleeping on a twin mattress on the floor for 6 months.  We started him out on the floor so if he fell off–he wouldn’t fall far.  He hasn’t had any problems, so we figured it was time to step up the danger factor.  To say Finn was excited would be a gross understatement.
IMG_2891
IMG_2896

He also has started in the phase of not wanting to go to bed.  It’s pretty amusing to hear his stall tactics each night.  He’s been so creative he even uses cleaning and going to the bathroom as ways to squeeze just a couple more minutes out of each day.

To the best of my understanding this phase lasts until he hits his teen years at which time we literally have to pry him out of his bed.  The joys of parenting.

The first night he was going to sleep in his “bigger big boy bed” he was throwing an excellent fit and I decided to throw some great reverse psychology his way and see how he coped.

Josh-time for bed.
Finn-NO!
me-oh, then I’m going to go sleep on your new bed.
Finn-NO!
me-are you going to sleep on your new bed then?
Finn-I’m gonna stroy you furst.
(translation for those who don’t have 3 year-old boys at home: I’m going to destroy you first)

As my cousin so helpfully pointed out, this is obviously a result of my mom buying him a sword.  Any violent or naughty behavior he exhibits, I’m pretty sure it’s because she bought him a sword.

However, everything great, nice, and sweet he does is a direct result of his mother.  Just in case you were wondering.

This entry was posted in Finn, Finn Pictures, Finnisms and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to How to train your child.

1. Kimberly says:

He is so stinking cute! Have you read “Go the F*$& to Sleep!”?

Anytime I hear a parent talking about not wanting to go to bed, I think of that book.
    Kimberly recently posted..Out of the Mouth of Babes – ReduxMy Profile

He’s so sweet, as usual! But what can I say, on Finn’s defence, he’s not the only one to do this: every night I struggle with so heavy eyelids and resisting to sleep… just like a 3 year-old child! I am aware, every night, of course, that I have to sleep, but I resist up to the last minute!!!!
    Denise recently posted..GIUSEPPE ZANOTTI Pollux peep toe court shoesMy Profile

Once he’s a teen, you’ll indeed need to pry him out of bed. I can testify to that.

My general advice on raising children, especially boys, is to make sure you have a “motivational tool” at hand at all times. I learned early in my Navy days that such tools are large, heavy, and painful when wacked up against your head. Boys usually recover quickly from such “motivation”.
    Vince recently posted..HumbledMy Profile

You are correct on the prying out part but once they discover girls it’s a whole new ball game.
    linlah recently posted..it’s october, right.My Profile

Linlah-
    When they discover girls they want to wake up? Interesting…please enlighten me further! Hopefully this is also what motivates them to shower and use deodorant. I’m still waiting for that to kick in with my husband (I kid..I kid…)
    😉 Kate

I have suspected this all along :)
    Tracey recently posted..Indulging a passionMy Profile

I think I might actually like Finn. I’m not generally a fan of children. But the “destroy you” line is pretty top notch.

…and when my brother has kids, i’m totally buying them swords.
    maggie recently posted..If I had three dollars for every time someone asked. . . Do Your Ears Hang Low?My Profile